The Scientific Advisory Board on Biodiversity and Genetic Resources advises the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL) on general and fundamental issues relating to the conservation and sustainable use of biological diversity at national, EU and international level.
Main areas of work
- biological and ecological basics
- economic, social and ethical evaluation
- development of science and technology, including genetics and breeding
- Land use, landscaping and rural areas
- Importance for raw materials, energy, nutrition and health
- Promotion strategies and concepts
- legal issues
- Information and Communication, Marketing
The constituent meeting of the Advisory Board was in 2003.
Members oft he Board are 12 appointed scientists from different disciplines, the four chairpersons of the expert committees on plant, animal, forest, and aquatic genetic resources, as well as the head of the IBV (Information and Coordination Centre for Biological Diversity) of the Federal Office for Agriculture and Food.