In 2003, the Conference of Agriculture Ministers adopted the "National Programme for the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Animal Genetic Resources in Germany". Under this agreement, the Federal Government and federal state governments have committed to ensure the use of native livestock breeds and their conservation for future generations.
The objectives of the National Programme are:
- to conserve native livestock breeds
- to make native livestock breeds available for animal husbandry through appropriate measures
- to contribute to the conservation and use of grassland
- to promote the use of native livestock breeds in nature and landscape conservation areas
- to establish a transparent system of responsibilities between the Federal Government, the federal states, non-governmental organisations and other actors
- to promote international cooperation for the conservation and sustainable use of the diversity of livestock breeds